Tuesday, May 5, 2009

We Interrupt Our Regularly Scheduled Coffee Table Makeover to Tell You About Our Really Icky Weekend

I have a bad habit of starting things and not finishing them...What??? You already know that about me??? Oh....
Well, part of that bad habit is that I buy supplies for these projects that I don't finish. I've had to start sneaking my yarn home so that Phil doesn't know that I haven't quite gotten over that addiction yet (to my credit, I have been buying clearance yarn). My storage areas are filled with scrapbooking supplies, fabric, frames, paint, ribbons etc. So, in honor of the Procrastinators' Party, I not only bought the things I need to fix up my coffee table, I actually got started on the project!

After work on Thursday, instead of my normal two hour nap, I stopped at the hardware store and then spent four hours sanding and filling gouges with wood putty. I was super tired that night but really excited to keep working on my table. Unfortunately, Kai's lungs had other plans for me.....

Around 1 AM, Kai woke up with a horrible cough...a croupy cough. So after spending some time outside in the cool night air, Kai and I spent the rest of the night on the couches with the window open. Not the best night's sleep. Fortunately, he has an inhaler now and it worked wonders on his cough. No ER/Urgentcare visit this time around.

Saturday morning, we woke up to the terrible news about Julie's brother, Jay (see post below). On Sunday, we went to my cousins' house to celebrate Mia's First Communion. While we were there, Kai was playing around on a rocking chair, flipped over, and cut open the back of his head!!!

Sophie brought Kai and Malia to me (both crying) and told me that Kai fell off of a rocking chair and landed on Malia. I noticed that Malia's chest was a little red and that Kai had what looked to be a tiny smear of blood on his forehead. I wiped away the blood and didn't see any cut or scratch so I checked both kids mouths to see if either of them cut their lips in the "collision." Kai kept saying that he hit his head but I couldn't find a lump anywhere. Then, I looked down and saw that Kai and I had blood on us. I looked at his head, but because of all of his hair, I couldn't see where the blood was coming from. Phil took a look and finally found the cut and decided that we should take him to the emergency room.

When we got the the ER, Kai's head was cleaned and checked out. Everyone who looked after him was terrific. After the aide cleaned his wound, Phil asked if they would be able to fix him up with Dermabond. As Kai was asking what Dermabond is, the guy said that he was going to need staples. Of course, Kai heard him and the idea didn't go over so well. Phil and I finally got a good look at Kai's head and Oh My Goodness! It was worse than we realized! It was a good thing I had eaten at the party or they would have had to pick me up off of the floor! Anyway, Kai was a such a trooper! Three staples (we opted to forego the Lidocaine because it would have required two shots in addition to the staples) and he hardly cried. We were so proud of him.

So, he'll have to go see his doctor on the 13th to get his staples out. The nurse at the hospital gave me a "staple remover" to take with us since the doctors' offices usually don't have them. I'll have to hide it from Phil because he wants to remove them himself! UGH!!!

And now Kai has a new loose tooth. At least he's excited about that. Yeah!

No comments: