When Kai first got up this morning, he was "a little excited" about starting school. He was happy and silly until it came time for breakfast. Suddenly, he had a tummy ache and his molar was "really hurting bad." He didn't think he could go to kindergarten because he didn't feel good. ;-D
I tried to be excited for him but he didn't want any part of it. I was kind of sad to see my little guy feeling so apprehensive. He didn't eat much for breakfast or lunch.
A little before 11AM, Kai, Malia and I stood out in the rain, waiting for the bus. I didn't get any pictures of Kai getting on the bus because I had to keep track of Kai, Malia and my umbrella, cross the street with the kids because the bus driver stopped on the wrong side, get Kai on the bus, and introduce both of us to the driver. Then Malia and I got in the car, picked up my friend Lisa (John Riley's mom) and drove to the school.
When Kai got off the bus, you would think he didn't know me! I could hardly get him to say hello. And right behind him was Jacqui, a girl he went to preschool with. I didn't even know that she lived in our area, let alone that she would be in the same class as Kai. It was hard to get pictures because there was such a crowd of people and the next thing I knew, my little boy had gone into the building.
So I went home and waited.....I seriously didn't know what to do with myself. Everything seemed fine at first, then the excitement wore off and the reality set in. My son is old enough to get on a bus by himself and go to school. I was so torn between being excited to see him growing up and sad to see him growing away from me. I know that this is only the first of many, necessary steps to independence but, man, it sure it tough!
Malia couldn't wait for Kai to get home. You would think that he had never gone off to school without her before! When it was time for the bus to come, we went outside and waited in the rain.....and waited.....and waited.....and waited....
Finally the bus came, on the wrong side of the street again. At the same time, my cousin, Annette, pulled into my driveway. I ran across the street to get Kai only he didn't get off the bus. The bus driver said she didn't have him and that he wasn't on her list......she thought there was another bus coming to our corner.....THOUGHT??? So I went back across the street where I found out that Annette had brought Kai home. Apparently, Kai is on the same bus as his cousin Sophie and she was very concerned that the bus hadn't stopped at our house yet so she told him to get off with her!
Of course, Kai won't tell me anything about his day.....he "doesn't remember" anything that he did. He did, however, tell me that they "took care of business" and "walked in circles" for gym class!
Hopefully, tomorrow will be easier for both of us!
I tried to be excited for him but he didn't want any part of it. I was kind of sad to see my little guy feeling so apprehensive. He didn't eat much for breakfast or lunch.
A little before 11AM, Kai, Malia and I stood out in the rain, waiting for the bus. I didn't get any pictures of Kai getting on the bus because I had to keep track of Kai, Malia and my umbrella, cross the street with the kids because the bus driver stopped on the wrong side, get Kai on the bus, and introduce both of us to the driver. Then Malia and I got in the car, picked up my friend Lisa (John Riley's mom) and drove to the school.
When Kai got off the bus, you would think he didn't know me! I could hardly get him to say hello. And right behind him was Jacqui, a girl he went to preschool with. I didn't even know that she lived in our area, let alone that she would be in the same class as Kai. It was hard to get pictures because there was such a crowd of people and the next thing I knew, my little boy had gone into the building.
So I went home and waited.....I seriously didn't know what to do with myself. Everything seemed fine at first, then the excitement wore off and the reality set in. My son is old enough to get on a bus by himself and go to school. I was so torn between being excited to see him growing up and sad to see him growing away from me. I know that this is only the first of many, necessary steps to independence but, man, it sure it tough!
Malia couldn't wait for Kai to get home. You would think that he had never gone off to school without her before! When it was time for the bus to come, we went outside and waited in the rain.....and waited.....and waited.....and waited....
Finally the bus came, on the wrong side of the street again. At the same time, my cousin, Annette, pulled into my driveway. I ran across the street to get Kai only he didn't get off the bus. The bus driver said she didn't have him and that he wasn't on her list......she thought there was another bus coming to our corner.....THOUGHT??? So I went back across the street where I found out that Annette had brought Kai home. Apparently, Kai is on the same bus as his cousin Sophie and she was very concerned that the bus hadn't stopped at our house yet so she told him to get off with her!
Of course, Kai won't tell me anything about his day.....he "doesn't remember" anything that he did. He did, however, tell me that they "took care of business" and "walked in circles" for gym class!
Hopefully, tomorrow will be easier for both of us!
This is the best smile I could get out of him!
The bus arrives at school
6 comments:
Oh my goodness!! Kai is in kindergarden! What a big day! I wish I could have been there. I miss my kids so much! And that picture of kai walking off with his umbrella is basically the cutest thing I have ever seen! Other than Kai and Malia in person of course! Good picture taking Auntie! =) Big hugs all around from Kiki. One for Lola too. By the way, when are you going to post pictures of Lola?? Haha
Yes, I am in college and I can spell kindergarTen =)
Kiki,
Two years ago, I if had thought about Kai's first day of kindergarTen, I would have pictured you, Heather and Baku waiting for the bus with us. Not me standing there with only Malia to ask, "Why are you crying, Mommy?" I wasn't actually crying....really!....just sniffling a little. ;-)
Phil and Rita--my parents gave me your blog site, I am always excited to add new blogs to bookmark! I can't believe how big your kids are--and beautiful!! Averie started preschool today, but we didn't have quite the adventures that you did!! Elena didn't know what to do with herself, however!! She was so thrilled when I said we were going to pick up Averie!!
Looking forward to updates!
Sara Valverde
i kinda always pictured it that way too.... :(
and i would have been "not" crying with you
Ummm Rita,
We are in much need of an update and pictures of that lost tooth! :) XOXOXO
Post a Comment